Browse Exhibits (1 total)
The Chewelah Chapter of the Service Star Legion was formed 20 May 1924. This chapter provided support to patients at the U. S. Hospital at American Lake and Walla Walla in the form of candy, lighter weight comforters, and correspondence and visits. They also worked with the schools to present patriotic programs.
It was part of a national organization formed in Baltimore, Maryland on 10 October 1919. At first it was an amalgamation of eleven patriotic societies which had grown up during WWI including the War Mothers of America. (Per catalog at J. Willard Marriott Library The University of Utah and History of Milwaukee, city and county, Vol 3 by Josiah Seymour Currey)
One of the goals of the organization was to extend to one another, and to our soldiers, sailors, and marines and their families, mutual comfort, sympathy, and aid.